Saturday, January 17, 2009

beginning the new year

So things have picked up but are going well.  Unfortunately, it seems that blogging motivation has dwindled to a slow trickle in the past weeks.  I think I will blame a packed schedule and the general dreary-ness that has descended upon the mountains of Cajamarca.  It is a rare day that we do not receive at least a couple hours of rain.  The saving grace is that almost every morning there are clear-ish skies to then be followed in the afternoon by rain.  Precious moments of sun in the morning make for a great walk to work knowing that I will not be wearing wet shoes and clothes for the rest of the day.  

I left off on Christmas...so here are the events of new years.  Sorry that it is a little late and a bit pass the general thoughts of all that is encompassed by new years celebrations and though processes.  

Tradition here is to make a doll of your favorite political figure to criticize...and then burn it.  Almost always the dolls are of the current president of Peru.   This is done at midnight, followed by a dinner, followed by dancing until early hours of the morning.  My host family finally let me escape to my room at about 4 in the morning. 

Anyway...here is some photo documentation of the aforementioned events.


My host brother (Raul) and I enjoying the firery festivities 


Perceived chaos in the streets as we all celebrate the burnings


My host siblings and I having fun after our midnight dinner



And yes...the air guitar is just as cool in Peru as it is in the States


Raul and I waiting for the night to end


So...I want to say a BIG thank you to all of the people that have been staying in contact and most importantly, sending me things!!!!  It is amazing to be reminded of home and people that care.   So thanks!  

I hope you are well and that this new year brings many blessings and happiness.  

tim.

2 comments:

MEG said...

haha this night looks like you had so much fun with your host family! I hope it's still going really well. It was exciting to see you all pumped. :)

Pathmark76 said...

tim, its Jaime Barreiro. We met in november. you were going to teach english to that kid i knew and we went to visit at his house. i can't find you on facebook. add me through pathmark76@hotmail.com. my picture is small, its 4 guys and i'm the third one to the right.

hope you're well in cajamarca!

un abrazo!