Saturday was another day and the agriculture university. I am excited to say it was a very interesting process. The topic of the day was compost and humus. We learned the proper way to construct a compost pile (green things on the bottom, then manure, then dry things. Repeat 3 to 5 times until you have a very big pile of organic materials). Apparently the process will complete itself in about 5 months. Then, for those still reading, you simply spread the waste in a protected area, add worms, and in a matter of months you have humus, or fresh top soil. Anyway, in writing this actually does not sound that exciting, BUT, it will be quite invaluable when we leave for sites, and have the task to make personal or community gardens. Personally, having gardening experience, I found it interesting. And, it is always fun watching city girls (and guys I suppose) using pitch forks and moving manure !

picture of us plant carrots from the week before.
peace,
tim.
No comments:
Post a Comment