Saturday, September 20, 2008

Looking for the other side

Here is a brief summary of what I have done over the past months for those who have not had the time to stay updated, or are simply interested in a summary of what I have been doing.

Arriving.

I started and completed training. Training consisted of 11 weeks of cultural, technical, and language training. I lived with a host family that was very nice and was generally a positive experience. My general sentiment was excitement to finish training and begin actual work in my new site. Along the way I met some very awesome people and began the process of adjustment to a new culture that is not my own.

Site.

Upon arriving to site I was commissioned to work in rural schools and find a host family. After three weeks I was still without a host family and few work leads. This understandably created a sense of frustration and helplessness…in a foreign country where nobody really speaks my language.
Family.
After some perseverance, things have started to fall into place. As of a couple days ago, I have a host family that seems very nice. We are starting to get to know each other, but this is generally a lengthy process to become truly integrated into a new family with different customs than my own. It seems as if the greatest challenge will be with the family pet, princesa. Every time we are in the same room together, she roles on her side and marks her territory…which she clearly feels is not mine. She has hit the sofa, living room floor, and my bedroom floor.
I am not unpacked yet; I am waiting for electricity to my room. For the last couple of days I have been told I will get electricity either “later today” or “tomorrow”. We will see. But, to tell the truth reading at night by candle light seems sort of romantic, no?

Work.
I visited a site yesterday (my site mate’s site, which is an hour hike up the side of a mountain) where I think I will be able to do some work. I also talked with a school in the city that is excited for me and my site mate to start a garden project as soon as we are able. On top of that, the same school asked if I would be able to do my world map project (consists of painting a large map of the world on a wall) at their school. While I am not integrated into any one project, and I still have my community diagnostic to complete before really getting started on work, it still feels great to have people that want me to work with them.
Attitude.
While not perfect I am doing better. I am starting to fall into a rhythm in site, and every now and then I run into people around town that call out my name because they know who I am!!! This truly is a victory! The most difficult thing is defiantly not the living conditions. What is most trying is lack of people who know and understand me. The novelty of being in another country has worn off (I am approaching 4 months in country…wow!), and the real purpose of my mission here has been greatly tested, and so far won out.
While there are obvious struggles, it seems like I am finding a niche and am getting more and more excited for the things I will be doing. I am loving my house (a little house outside of the city where there are grass, goats, and a family pet), the scenery, and all of the learning I am doing.

Mail
While I have yet to receive anything at this address, I think it will work (another volunteer a couple of hours away receives mail here frequently, so we will see). It took about 10 days to receive mail in Lima, I think it will be 2 or 2 ½ weeks here at my site in the mountains.

Timothy Voigt
Correo Central de Bambamarca
Bambamarca, Hualgayoc, Cajamarca
Peru

Thank you all for taking the time to be interested and reading some of the things I am doing. While exciting, it is strange to be away from family and friends. Know that you are missed and I think of you all more often than you know.

I will post more pictures as I unpack and get settled into my new house.

Be well,

Tim.

1 comment:

Kat Perez said...

yes. reading by candle-light IS romantic.

so happy to read your blog! keep it up, and keep the chin up! you're doing great, I have no doubt.

xoxo,
kat