Sunday, September 7, 2008

Comings and goings…

Unfortunately I do not have much new and exciting to share with anyone. Just an update to let you all know that I am still alive and functioning.

The last week consisted of about 4 meetings total. This means that I did a lot of walking around, trying to become acquainted with my new city. I have met many people whose names I am pretty sure I do not remember. I found the best local cookies shop, and found a lady who I will never by cake from again (can we say sand in the batter?!?).

I have finished Les Miserables (abridged version…that was the only copy at the book exchange…I swear!). Great book. I would recommend it to anyone. I am currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I am less than impressed. I am half way done and it seems that it has just been a stream of consciousness of a transient during the 40’s and 50’s. Maybe I miss the point, or the life lessons are yet to come. We will see.

I have had few successes since moving to site. Objectives for the next week are: figure out how I can work with the health post in rural zones, where they don’t actually go; convince my other partner agency that my Spanish will improve, and that the kids will not be worse off after interacting with me; and to figure out my housing situation once and for all. I think it is doable…

I am thinking of all of you, and hope that life is as full as possible…prayin’ for ya’ll!

-Tim-

No comments: