Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When things are moving...

I feel as if so many things have been going on that I should be able to write pages without coming to an end.  Strangely though, I am at a complete loss of words.   

 

A brief summary is that after a conversation with my director, it was decided that I would be moving sites.  My new location is in the capital city of Cajamarca.  This means that I moved from a 10,000 person community to a 100,000 person community.  It sounds as if I will be working with the regional hospital, helping to set up an adolescent health program the hospital is trying to set up.  To be honest, I have no idea what that will look like or how involved I will be.  I have yet to meet any work associates.

 

(a view of my new city)

The emotional and physical strain of leaving a site where I had friends and many work connections to a new site where I am starting over from scratch can be described as overwhelming at best.  I am tired from a hectic few weeks but feel rejuvenated at the prospects of what this site and work could be.  Living in a larger city means more problems to work with and more resources (sometimes) to address those problems.  I feel as if this move provides many more opportunities to learn and grown as a professional and as a person.  I pray this is true.

 

My housing situation is very nice.  I have some space to myself, but also have a very loving family who are super concerned that I feel comfortable.  They always feel that I am not comfortable or sick and constantly ask if I am feeling okay and if I am happy and content.  I always affirm the worries and say that I am happy, healthy and excited to be here.  The new family has to sons in their twenties, which works out perfectly for me.  They both seem interested in getting to know me and spending time with me.  I also have a 31 year old brother who has an almost three year old son. 

 

He is off the wall.  If he is not running circles around the house, he is breaking records for being the loudest 3 year old in existence.  I love him.  Upon arrival to my new home, furniture had to be moved.  He made it a point to walk right in from of the piece that was being moved, and then to reach the destination of the furniture and stand right where we wanted to put it.  The family was freaking out and I just laughed.  I also have a window in my room that leads to the family room that has bars across it.  He often climbs the bars and stares in at me.  It is precious. 

 

(my nephew arturito)

So all in all things are quite hectic but I am feeling more and more content with my living and work situations.  I still cannot wait till I am able to start doing my own programming.  It will come shortly.

 

Be well,

 

Tim.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Tim, I lost track of your blog for a while. Hope you are doing well.
Do you have a mailing address (snail) I can use?
cousin Sarah
kuhlmasjh@gmail.com

HeatherK said...

hm, I happen to know an extremely loud three year old myself...