I am now comfortable in my new site. I am still learning and meeting a lot of people, but I am very excited about what is in store for me. I have been cooking my own breakfast and dinner which has been very comforting. First to eat things I am used to, and second to gain some control after some chaotic weeks. My family continues to be very sweet and help as much as they can to make me feel comfortable.

(Me, work counterparts, and a youth participant)
I have been following around my work counterparts trying to understand what it is they do. It is very interesting because the program is just laying down a baseline study to assess the youth community. It does not seem like it is really clear what the program will be like as it is still in a formation phase. It really seems like there could not be a better time to enter a program than at its formation. We often go into high school and do small talks. My counters parts seem to have no problem putting me on the spot to come up with quick activities to entertain youth when they run out of things to say. I must say I am actually quite pleased they are so willing to push me into the spotlight. I think this is an indication I will be able to get approval to start up almost any type of program I want, which is very encouraging.

(Girl/Boy trying to guess who is leading the actions the entire circle is doing)
It is always interesting when we go into all girls schools. They have a tendency to ask me to sing English song for them. I politely ask them to sing first which has prevented me from having to break out Backstreet Boys or n’sync (I know I am WAY behind the times).
UPDATE...Kids are now letting me play soccer with them...
Upon moving to the city, I have drastically increased my amount of walking. This is accounted for things being far apart and my innate ability to get lost at least once a day. One of the hardest things to get used to is the lack time and ability to exercise. For this, I am not too anxious to know exactly how to get to every place I am trying to go.
After being in site for about a week, I will be heading to a 3 month reconnect. Three months in site…hardly feels possible. Reconnect consists of a couple of days of training/sharing about site experience, then followed by 2 days of vacation for thanksgiving, all taking place on the coast. I admit I am really hoping for some Frisbee and bonfires on the beach. It will also be nice to wear some of the shorts I packed 6 months ago. I think it will be much needed R&R.
I hope you are all well, and I am very thankful for all of the emails, support, and prayers that have come my way.
Peace and blessings,
Tim.

1 comment:
alriiiight tim~
Post a Comment