Sunday, November 30, 2008

Making up for lost time...by taking a break...

hey all,

I just got back from our three month reconnect and thanksgiving vacation.  To be honest it was very odd not being in the states, but was very comforting having a beach side thanksgiving dinner.  And yes, we did have turkey, pumpkin pie, and sweet potato casserole.  it was quite delicious.  
        
(Beach at training)

To summarize, we had three days of presentation and training then two days of vacations.  It was so good to see many volunteers that I am close to, but have not seen in three months.  I do not think that I had been as relaxed as I was this past week in over a year.   So it was a much needed R&R. 
            
(friends enjoying the pier and summer air)
some of the highlights were two campfires, walking on dangerous piers, over twenty hours on a bus, multiple visits to vegetarian restaurants, american style pancakes, VERY intense ping pong, pizza, seeing long lost friends, shopping (yes, shopping.  two sweaters and a backpack),  wearing shorts, rooming in a hostel with people from iceland and sweden, and visiting incan ruins.  

         
                                     (very important people...)

It was a great time but, as many of you know, every vacation has a natural end, and by the end of the week, I was very ready to get back to site and start work again.  I think that is the sign of a good vacation, sufficient to relax and recharge for what you really want to get done.  I just hope that this refreshed feeling will last for a while, or a least until my next vacation (i am now eligible to take personal vacation!!).  
       
(on the bus to some ruins)       (some youth dev. workers)

I am doing well and hope for many successes in the coming weeks.  As I have mentioned before, it does not matter how "nice" things are but how effective I feel.  That is what keeps me here.  


(getting ready for the road)


Be well, 

Tim.

1 comment:

Kat Perez said...

glad you feel rejuvinated, tim! nice to have seen you! see you at carnaval!!!!

kat