Monday, June 9, 2008

settling in...

It is the second day living with my host family and I believe I have already experienced the entire spectrum of emotions. Moving in was very exciting and nerve racking at the same time. Initial conversations were difficult and frustrating. While going to bed I was completely drained. Waking up was a test of perseverance but was eased with fresh optimism. Progressing through today was accepting that the next couple of months will be a huge challenge, and refreshing the commitment to complete the challenge laid before me.

My Spanish is far from sufficient to function in a Hispanic country, but it is coming along. Each day is easier than the next. I just finished having a nice conversation with my mamita about the day, what we both did, futbol, a former peace corps volunteer, and some pertinent vocabulary. From this it is apparent that each day is presented with huge challenges and small victories. So far I have been successful enough to focus and indentify enough victories to far out way any looming difficulties. Hopefully it will continue.

I am very optimistic about my time here in Peru. With most new experiences, there are plusses and minuses. While this holds true for my time here, I will say that there is nothing about this experience that I am not looking forward to. As I learn about the rest of orientation, Spanish and job training, I continue to be excited and thrilled to begin each new stage of training. This helps me to press through any emotional or cultural obstacle I have faced and will hopefully continue to help with what is yet to come.

My family is very nice. My house consists of a mother, father, aunt, and niece. The niece is the cute age of 18 months. I also have a sister who has a house in view of my home. She is married and also has a peace corps volunteer. So, as host relations go, I am the uncle of the other volunteer, which is pretty entertaining.

My house is set in a quaint neighborhood immediately surrounded by dusty mountains. In the morning the air is clear, but by noon there is so much dust in the air to give the impression of a settled in fog. All in all I can not complain about the location.

I do not know what people may want to know, but this is a tid-bit of some of the things that have stood out to me. I hope all are doing well.

Blessings and peace,
Tim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep the blog coming Tim! I am enjoying it.