Saturday, June 14, 2008

Week One...


Me and my family

a view of my house



and two views from my house looking at my comunity
Week one.

I have successfully lived in Peru for 1 week! I am quite excited. I am becoming accustomed to the routine of life here, and what is and what will be expected of me. Many of the classes I have taken have been “overview of peace corps” type classes which can be less than exciting to sit through. But, towards the end of the week, they have been much more informative and gave many more reasons to be excited with the work I will be doing.
The last session was given by the director of the youth development project. She is at least in her 50’s and has had a career in youth development and human services. She laid out what youth development will look like, and briefly laid out the system for outcomes measures and some of the assessment tools we will be using. Any of my fellow social workers will know that this probably made me quite excited. She went on to say that by the end of service, we will all be prepared to set in and design any type of youth development program. So I am excited that we will be using a planned system of youth development assessment while still being allowed as much creativity as we want in the programming we design.
Lifestyle.
I do not think that I have ever lived a healthier lifestyle. There is no candy to be seen in my community. I don’t think it exists. I seem to be force fed fruit by the kilo and eat a healthy amount of potatoes. Apparently there are thousands of types of potatoes in Peru, I think I have tried three of them.
I have been running stairs most mornings, which starts around 5:30 AM. I live on the side of a large mountain so I am not able to find any flat areas to run. So instead of climbing the side of the hill I run stairs, which total probably a hundred or two ( I have not exactly counted.)
The day starts at 5:30 because my host dad leaves at 4:00 AM and my host mom leaves at 7AM. In the process of leaving, there is much clunking around in the house. I do not know what happens every morning but I do know it wakes me up. Anyway, it is not so bad except for when I am up late at a fiesta, of which there were two this past week for fellow volunteers’ birthdays in my community.
All in all I am staying busy and wish I had more time to study Spanish and spend time with my family. I think as I adjust more I will feel more comfortable fitting in everything I want to do in the day. Time is flying by and I am having a lot of fun in between the large amount of work.

Lunch is starting soon with my family, and my sister’s family.
If any of you all want to know anything specific, just let me know.

Until later,

Peace,

Tim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow timmy v i never realized how handsome u've become...maybe it's cause i haven't seen u in 2 years...i guess what i'm trying to say is i love you and you need to come see me cause jeremy left me, and ur gone and everybodys gone.

MEG said...

your house is super cute!! :)