On Wednesday a group of volunteers traveled to a mountain community to do a mini community analyst. This was to practice entering a new community and being able to local and gather information about main aspects of the community. We were fortunate enough to go to a small mountain community which was absolutely gorgeous. I envy the people for their simplicity beautiful community. We were able to walk around the town for about 5 hours; enjoying the views and random people that were on the street. This made me long for a small mountain community for my two year service, which is what I requested.
A view from one of the streets of the town.
A view from my reading spot along a wall in the main plaza, with the book i was reading.
This past Saturday the entire group of volunteers traveled into Lima to go the University of Agriculture. To be honest I was quite excited to go, but was a little disappointed at the end of it. We saw some plants native to Peru which was exciting, but we did not cover much ground. I was hoping to learn absolutely everything about agriculture in Peru. Unfortunately that did not happen, but it was a good start. Thankfully, we are going a couple more times so I will have the opportunity to learn a lot more about the farming in Peru. I cannot wait to get to my community and start community and/or person garden of plants. How exciting.
After leaving the school of agriculture, we went into Lima on our own to explore a little and to make some very necessary and much needed purchases. In the end everyone in our group of 6 had a guitar (actually there were seven, but the seventh bought a guitar the week before, so he doesn’t count. Sorry James!!) So, I am the proud new owner of a classical guitar. I got home and played for about two hours. What is best is that because I am ridiculously frugal I did not spend any of my own money, just extra money from my living stipend. Thank you United States government.

Me playing my brand new guitar. special thanks to my 8 year old niece for taking the picture!
Also, on the ride home in the very small bus that runs from Lima to our town, we were stopped the gay parade that happened to be going by. So that was an interesting 20 minute delay. I guess you never know what will happen when you are away from home. To make the ride more interesting, one of the people in the group had bought a lung powered portable piano, so we were entertained the entire ride home to oh when the saints, some work from the beetles, Simon and Garfunkel, and the star spangle banner. Needless to say, it was a quite entertaining hour and a half ride home cramped with all of our backpacks, 6 guitars, and a piano.
The weeks take all of my energy because of all of the things I am doing, but I am doing so much it is hard to remember anything from the last week. So, they are working us hard but time is flying by. In two weeks I will be in field based training, which means I will be spending a week out in some town in Peru. I am working hard to get my Spanish as high as I can before that time. And, this next week I have another interview to assess my Spanish proficiency. Honestly, I feel as if it has not improved much at all, but I bet I have learned at least a little bit.
That is what is happening for now. Some struggles for the next week will be: staying motivated and keeping energy through training, understanding and learning Spanish, reaching out to as many Peruvians as possible, and taking care of myself. Prayers are always appreciated.
Also, thanks again for emails and contacts. It is good to know that I am still remembered. I am also trying harder now to respond when I can.
Blessings and peace,
Tim.



No comments:
Post a Comment